Brain-type Naturiuretic Peptide
Brain-type naturiuretic peptide (BNP) is a polypeptide synthesized as pre-proBNP which is cleaved to proBNP(aa1-108), then cleaved by furin to subsequently be secreted as the biologically active BNP(aa77-108) and the inactive N-terminal BNP(aa1-76, NT-proBNP).
Both BNP and NT-proBNP levels in the blood are used for screening and diagnosis of acute congestive heart failure (CHF) and may be useful to establish prognosis in heart failure, as both fragmentsare typically higher in patients with poor prognosis.While the plasma concentrations of both BNP and NT-proBNP are also typically increased in patients with asymptomatic or symptomatic left ventricular dysfunction, the BNP peptide hormone has a short half life and the NT-proBNP fragment serves as a better biomarker1,2. Elevated NT-proBNP levels are associated with left ventricular dysfunction, heart failure and myocardial ischemia2-4.
AvantGen has generated a compatible pair of rabbit monoclonal diagnostic antibodies against the NT-proBNP with higher affinities than other commercially available antibody clones, with a corresponding increase in assay sensitivity. These clones are suitable for high sensitivity NT-proBNP assay development.
1. Yeo, KT et al., Multicenter evaluation of the Roche NT-proBNP assay and comparison to the Biosite Triage BNP assay. ClinChimActa.2003; 338(1-2):107-15.
2. Hall, C., NT-ProBNP: the mechanism behind the marker.J Card Fail, 2005; 11(5 Suppl): p. S81-
3. deLemos, JA., et al. The prognostic value of B-type natriuretic peptide in patients with acute coronary syndromes.N Engl J Med. 2001;345:1014 –1021.
4. Costello-Boerrigter, LC.,et al.,Amino-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide and B-type natriuretic peptide in the general community: determinants and detection of left ventricular dysfunction. J AmColl Cardiol, 2006; 47(2): p. 345-53.
5. Wang, TJ.,et al., Multiple biomarkers for the prediction of first major cardiovascular events and death. N Engl J Med. 2006; 355(25):2631-9.
|DA-2003||NT-proBNP||A10||WB, ELISA||Download PDF||Request Quote|
|DA-2004||NT-proBNP||F10||WB, ELISA||Download PDF||Request Quote|